4/25/2011

Vegan Creamed Spinach

Creamed spinach without the cream?  What's up with that?  I love me some creamed spinach.  I have often dreamed of the creamed spinach from Boston Market!!  Creamed spinach is one of my all time favorite side dishes... however, with many of my traditional favs, I would feel ill every time I ate it.  The butter, the dairy cream, the wheat flour, all didn't agree with me... or my family, and in regards to nutritionally, for the human race.  That my friends, is a whole different subject.

So again, the dilemma- how to have what I love without the boo-boo stuff.  Well, after honing my recipe after making it many a time, came up with a great copy-cat recipe!  If you love creamed spinach, this recipe is for you!


Creamed Spinach, minus the cream


1 lb.  frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)

 large white onion, chopped finely

2 garlic cloves (pressed, grated, or finely chopped)

1 cup cashew cream( you can substitute coconut milk, or almond milk)

1 TBL flour ( I use gluten free flour)

4 TBL Earth Balance spread  ( you can substitute olive oil, or 2 TBL  unrefined coconut oil)

1/4 tsp nutmeg
 
1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt

Saute the onion and garlic in the earth balance over medium heat,  until soft and translucent.  Add the flour, and cook until bubbly, 2- 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Add the cream a little at a time whisking constantly.  Cook until it is a creamy consistency. (Longer for the coconut milk or almond milk).   Add spinach, and cook 2 - 3 minutes.  Add nutmeg and salt, stir well.  Voila!

If using cashew cream, add a little water to the cream, to make it a bit more like the alternative milks.

You will find it hard to believe this isn't the real stuff.  Especially when using the cashew cream!  This is good, and good for you!

Enjoy!
Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets