10/31/2011

Crock Pot Red Curry Potatoes and Vegetables

Happy Halloween!  This is a great Autumnal dish, with it's rich orangey color!

I absolutely LOVE coconut curry dishes!  I love Indian inspired, Thai inspired, or simply yellow curry style dishes!!  I've made curry many different ways- and they are ALL so good!  I think it's close to impossible to make a bad dish mixing coconut milk, and curry!

Today I made a substantial crock pot curry dish, using potatoes, and other veggies I just had on hand.  That's the beauty, you can use what you have, you can use what you love!  This is the chop and dump recipe I made today. Here is another EASY CROCK POT RECIPE!




Crock Pot Red Curry Potatoes and Vegetables

1- 14oz. can of coconut milk

5 small potatoes, cubed

1 medium onion chopped

2 carrots, cubed

1 lg. tomato, chopped

1 red pepper chopped

1/4 cabbage, chopped

5 garlic cloves minced

1/2 Tbl ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger)

2 Tbl red curry paste (or more to taste)

2 Tbl palm sugar (or brown sugar)

2 tsp soy sauce



Put coconut milk, garlic, ginger, red curry paste, and palm sugar in bottom of 5 quart crock pot, and whisk until ingredients are incorporated.  Then add potato, carrot, tomato and onion in the crock and mix gently.  Next add the red pepper, and cabbage,(do not mix in, but leave on top) and gently press down to allow the liquid to rise as far as it will go.
Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or on low for 8-10.  The times do vary, because crock pots unfortunately cook at different temps.  My crock cooks high, so I do the lesser times.
Mix towards the end of cooking time.  You can add a Tbl cornstarch, potato starch or tapioca starch, in a little water, and mix into the crock during the last 1/2 hour if you like a thicker sauce. 

- If you like it much saucier, add an extra can of coconut milk, and double the last 5 ingredients.
- If you'd like to make this a soup, add a quart of vegetable stock, or chicken stock if you'd like, and double the last 5 ingredients.
- If you'd like to make this a chicken dish, do so, by adding 4 boneless chicken thighs- whole or cubed.
- I used Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk, as it has the most coconut cream compared to other brands!
- I used Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste
- You can use a  1/2 can of chopped tomatoes if you don't have fresh.
- This dish is excellent with sweet potato in addition to the regular potato. ( I just didn't have any today.)
- If you use softer vegetables like zucchini, or eggplant, add in the last hour of cooking time. If you won't be home until after the entire cooking time, put those softer vegetables on the top of everything else and do not submerse in liquid.

This can be served as is, in a bowl, or you can serve this with brown rice, soba noodles, or even quinoa pasta.  I like to serve curry dishes with black rice!  I found black rice at a local Vietnamese store.  I had never heard of black rice, and was excited to try it.  It is purple after cooking, and is super nutritious!!  If you find it, try it!

This dish is excellent topped with cilantro and cashew nuts!

Thai inspired heaven in a bowl- and I seriously could eat this every, single day!

Yours in health,
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of doing a curry in my crock pot, that is awesome. Get it all ready before my day takes off and come home to the smell of curry, wonderful. Thanks so much for posting and sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets