9/17/2012

Tangy Greek Style Dressing



We are big on salads in my house... My daughter Madeline especially loves a good Greek salad- with the salty trimmings, kalamta olives, and feta cheese! She does take after her mama.

Of course the Greek bottled dressings at the store, and mostly likely, at most restaurants are filled with undesirables. Like corn syrup, preservatives, and most often, cow's milk feta cheese- all no-no's.

I make my salad dressings, so I threw together a tangy version of a Greek style dressing! We like it vinegary here. (Is that even a word?) This really fist the bill!!

Tangy Greek Style Dressing

1/2 C red wine vinegar
1/2 C olive oil
1-2 tsp raw honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sea salt
6 kalamta pitted olives (optional)
1 Tbl raw sheep's milk feta cheese (optional)

I put everything into the blender, except the olive oil. I blended well, then in a slow stream, added in the olive oil! Allow to meld in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Boom shocky. Greek heaven!

*I make my own red wine vinegar, by adding 1/4 of Bragg's Raw Apple Cider vinegar to a bottle of red wine. I put wine in a gallon jar, add the Bragg's, cover with a napkin with a rubber band, and allow to sit for approx. 3 months! Now, it is a live probiotic vinegar:)  This is a much stronger vinegar than store bought, so I cut it in 1/2 with water. So, for 1/2 C of vinegar, I do 1/4 C homemade vinegar, and 1/4 C water!
* I only use raw sheep's milk cheese. Pasteurizing ruins and denatures the milk/cheese. Raw retains any nutrients present in the sheep's milk. Sheep have A2 milk, which isn't harmful to human health! On a personal note, my daughter and I aren't allergic to sheep or goats milk products.
* You could EASILY put everything into a jar, and shake well- and it would be fantastic. I just most often use the blender- if I have the time. It emulsifies the dressing.
*I double this recipe. Will stay a couple weeks in the fridge. Shake well before each use.

Let me know how you like it!
Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets