3/03/2010

Gluten free, Dairy free, Flourless, WAFFLES

Madeline loves a warm breakfast, but especially loves smelling it cooking as she gets ready for her day... So did I when I was little... in my dreams that is.  I was lucky if there was cereal in the house.  Right?  Man, my girls are lucky- but I do it because I love them so much! 
Who doesn't love waffles?  Today I experimented with using Kasha or buckwheat groats.  I know it is super nutritious, and is not even a grain!  It seems the more I read, that some grains aren't what they're 'cracked' up to be.  We all know that 100% grains and not refined, is the way to go.  But with more and and more research suggesting that wheat may not be compatible with our human bodies, and with so many having wheat and gluten intolerance, including myself, I am always rotating grains, and trying to find new ways to use them!

I had apple cider in my fridge from over the weekend.  To warm and serve to all of the little sledders and snowboarders... So I threw in 1/2 of cider to the batter to soak over night, to lend it's flavor.  It worked just fine!   My girls also love warmed apple cider in the morning- they pretend it is coffee.

This is an easy recipe where you soak your grains overnight.  I usually make all oat waffles, but today I threw in 1/2 kasha, and it worked just fine!  I bet you could use brown rice here too..?.. I'll let you know.

Whole Grain Sweet Potato Waffles

1 C oats
1 C buckwheat groats ( also called Kasha)
2 C coconut milk ( or other non dairy milk)
1/2 apple cider (or you can just use more milk here)
2 eggs
1/2 C sweet potato, mashed ( this was one medium, baked. You could use anything here: applesauce, pumpkin, shredded apple, mashed banana, blueberries, even strawberries!)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice ( or spice to match your chosen fruit)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

coconut oil (or other oil for greasing waffle iron)
100% maple syrup
Earth balance or Organic Smart balance buttery spread


Soak grains overnight in the milk, (and cider if using) with the salt at least 8 hours.  In the morning, blend for a minute or so, then add all the rest of the ingredients, and blend until just incorporated.  Do not over blend!
Preheat your waffle iron, and grease well.   I use a cool silicone pastry brush from Pampered Chef, that makes the job so easy! You can pour directly from the blender pitcher or whatever works best for you.  Cook as directed for your waffle maker.  Top with buttery spread and maple syrup, and watch 'em get gobbled up!


My waffle iron sucks, and I need to research and find one I love.  Mine is not easy for clean up, it gets so very hot, that I have to change cooking times the longer it is on... But I am from the school of thought, you use something until it no longer works- but this thing is old, and it won't die.  I'll have to donate it- and find a better one!  Any suggestions?

This batter makes exactly 6 waffles for my size waffle iron.  I will freeze the extras on a cookie sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag.  I won't have to mark the bag with the date, they will be gone this week.

Enjoy!
Yours in health,
Natalie

1 comment:

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets