4/05/2010

Baba Ghanouj

This is one of my all time favorite dips!  It's hard to believe, that it was only about a year ago, when I first had the pleasure of trying it... My neighbor Meg's sister Margo, brought this fabulous dip to share, from one of her favorite gourmet stores.  (I love gourmet stores, and dips, but not the gourmet price!)  I had heard of the name "baba ghanouj", but thought it was perhaps an Indian inspired soup?  Boy was I wrong, and sorry that I never really knew what this was!
So, of course in the name of saving, and making it to my tastes, I have made this FAB dip many times.  I know there are many ways to make baba ghanouj, and most certainly have honed the recipe to my liking!
Here's the way I LOVE to make this dip!

Baba Ghanouj

1 med. eggplant
1-3 cloves garlic  
1-3 TBL tahini
2 TBL olive oil
2 TBL lemon juice
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cumin

Cut off the top of the eggplant, and cut in half length wise.  Brush the surface with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees.
Put garlic in the food processor first, then add all of the other ingredients, and blend until desired consistency.
I use the entire eggplant, with the skin and all.  Most recipes call for only the inside of the eggplant.  I think this is a waste, of the very nutrient rich purple skin.  I think it is prettier, and more nutritious with the skin on.

I use at least 3 garlic cloves because I really love it garlicky- and only 1 TBL of the tahini... All of these ingredients can be adjusted to your own tastes!
Enjoy!

Yours in health,
Natalie

2 comments:

  1. i LOVE this dip - but can't find tahini here in japan...really miss trader joe's and whole foods and even just the health food aisle in the regular grocery store!!! oh, & i've grilled the eggplant before too when i have made this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my own tahini. I buy whole sesame seeds and put them in my Vitamx blender. They grind to a meal and that is tahini!

    ReplyDelete

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets