9/16/2011

Crock Pot Creamy Gingered Carrot Soup


It's that time of year again... it's almost fall, the cooler weather inspired me to make a crock pot soup!  Who doesn't love the crock pot?  It's my favorite kitchen appliance bar none!  I love easy, quick prep, with the slow, all day  cooked flavor of the crock pot!  I was craving a warm, Autumnal type soup, but had to wing it with what I had on hand... starting with a bag of carrots.
It turned out fantastic!   I love the sweet of the carrots and honey, with the salty, spicy, and bit of heat.  I did use measurements, because I usually wing it- but thought I would share, as Mrs. H requested I do so, after posting on Facebook, that I was making it!  This is for you Mrs. H:)


Crock Pot Creamy Gingered Carrot Soup

1- 2lbs bag of baby carrots (or 2lbs of carrots, washed and cut in chunks)


5 C water (or vegetable stock, or even organic chicken stock)


5 tsp. of organic vegetable base* ( I like Organic Better Than Boullion)
 *use only if using water as your base


2 lg onions coursely chopped

2 garlic cloves chopped or pressed

1 Tbl crushed ginger (fresh or* jarred)
All dumped right into the crock! EASY!



1 tsp sea salt


1 tsp pepper (I used peppercorns)


1 bay leaf


1- 3 tsp hot sauce (I used Siracha sauce)


1- 3 tsp raw honey


1 C cashew cream (or soy cream, or coconut milk)


Put the the first 9 ingredients into the crock. (The honey and cream will be added later.)  Put on low, and cook for approx. 8 hours on low.  After cooking time remove the bay leaf and blend.  I used an immersion blender, which is really a must have for blended soups.  If you don't have one, blend in batches in your blender. (Be careful when blending hot foods in a blender- keep the top slightly ajar, and top with a towel.) Once blended, add the cream and the honey, and put on high for about 10 minutes, just to heat through.  Taste- add more honey of you like it sweeter, or add more hot sauce if you like a bit more heat!  As with any soups, you really can adjust ingredients to your tastes. You could add curry powder, use the coconut milk, and use soy sauce in lieu of salt, and have something more Thai/Indian.  You could omit the garlic, and use pumpkin spice for a more Autumn flavor.  Whatever you enjoy!

This certainly can be made anytime of the year... and makes a delicious cold soup in the summer!

I hope you make this simple, and nutritious soup!
Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets