9/19/2011

Mexican Inspired Soup

Maddy loves it spicy y'all!

Mexican Inspired Soup!


4 cups of water (or use chicken or vegetable stock)

1 28 oz. can of chopped tomatoes

1 lg onion chopped

3 garlic cloves chopped

2 peppers chopped

1 C frozen corn

1 C jarred salsa

1/4 tequila (or omit)

1/4 tsp.chili powder

1/4 tsp. cumin

1 tsp Better Than Bouillon Vegetable base ( or veg bouillon cube, or omit)

2 Tbl olive oil


Heat 2 Tbl olive oil in a dutch oven. (Which is just a large pot.) Saute onion until there is color on the onions. Next add the garlic, and saute a few more minutes.  Add the chopped pepper, saute a few more minutes.  Next, add the frozen corn.  Saute close to five minutes or so.  Next add the spices: 1/4 tsp. chili powder, and the 1/4 tsp. cumin.  I like to add the spices during the sauteing, to cook the spices a little while, getting in contact with the oil, and the pan.  Next, carefully add the 1/4 cup tequila.  (I recommend taking it off the heat, because of the alcohol.) This is called by Chefs: deglazing.  Using a cooking liquid helps to pick up the brown at the bottom of the pan.  As we've all heard, brown= flavor.
Then, add the water, tsp bouillon base, salsa and canned tomatoes.
Bring to the boil, then down to a slow/low simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.



Sauteing all, including spices!


You certainly could, do all the sauteing, then throw into a crock pot for 7-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high!  I've even skipped the sauteing all together, and just dumped into the crock pot... if it's just on of those days.  The sauteing just lends a richer, perhaps roasted flavor, that I love.

Any salsa will do.  I used 1/4 cup of green salsa, and 3/4 of my very favorite salsa- Newman's Own Pineapple Salsa !  It is the BOMB.  For the green salsa, I used Mrs.Renfro's Green SalsaWhich by the way, is no joke HOT.  It is delish, but HOT.  So omit, if you aren't a fan of heat.

I've added beans to this soup in the past.  Black beans, navy beans, or my favorite, pinto beans.  I've also used refried beans, which makes it a 'creamier' consistency.  But, I didn't have any prepared beans on hand, just dried.  So, no beans today:(  I've even added left over baked potato- just cube, and put into bowl before ladling on the hot soup.  Or add the potato a few minutes at the end of cooking time.  Brown rice is a nice addition too.  Whatever you like!

I will add shredded chicken (from last night's dinner) to my family's bowls before ladling on the hot soup.  How you garnish the soup- is up to you!

I will be using cashew cream, crushed tortilla chips, and slices of avocado on mine!  The cashew cream I use like sour cream, and it will cut the heat, and lend creaminess.  The girls will probably use some rice cheese shreds, and some Tofutti (faux) sour cream.  Make sure if you buy the Tofutti Sour Cream , make certain is the one without partially hydrogenated oil.  Boo- Tofutti for making one with partially hydrogenated oils!!

I hope you enjoy this spicy, easy, Mexican inspired soup!

Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets