2/28/2010

Dairy free hot cocoa


My girls, although dairy free, do not miss out on much when it comes to food or drink... It is winter, and they LOVE to play outdoors, and go sledding, snow boarding, ice skating, or building a snowman.  So, hot cocoa, hot apple cider, chai, or hot tea is in order when they come in to warm up.  I have an easy recipe for hot cocoa that I use,  that they love! 
I grew up having dairy products, and regular hot cocoa in the easy to use canister.  I like this kind better.  I get the warm chocolaty goodness, without the guilt.

Dairy free hot cocoa

4 C unsweetened soy milk (any non dairy milk will do)
4 TBL agave nectar ( or organic cane sugar, brown rice syrup)
8 TBL unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 tsp sea salt

Mix the soy milk and agave nectar, heat over a medium heat until just hot.  Stir in cocoa once the milk is hot.  I like to use a whisk- it makes the job much easier.  You can add cinnamon and nutmeg if you like, about 1/4 tsp. each.  I like to even do a little sprinkle of cayenne pepper for a bit of spice!

I hope this becomes a favorite at your house!
Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets