4/26/2010

Easy Bean Tostadas


Healthy meals do not have to be complicated!  We love Mexican inspired meals, and we all could eat Mexican every, single day.  I like to take short cuts, just like every other Mom.  You really can have really quick nutritious meals, it's just knowing what to buy.
Most of my meals, look like anyone else's- I just choose the 'healthier' options of what is already familiar.

Tostadas are one of our many "go-to" super easy, super nutritious meals.

Easy Bean Tostadas


organic corn tortillas
1 can of refried beans
vegan cheese shreds
organic sour cream (or vegan sour cream)
jar of jalapenos
salsa
chopped onion
any other toppings of choice!

I buy the uncooked organic corn tortillas from Whole Foods, or the Food for Life, sprouted grain corn tortillas.  The latter you can find at Outpost, or most health food stores.  I drizzle a bit of olive oil on each tortilla, then use a pastry brush to spread the oil on both sides of the tortilla.  I use my baking stone, which is by far, my favorite item in the kitchen! (Baking sheets have driven me crazy all of my life, until THE BAKING STONE.  Easy clean up, rinse with hot water, and scrape off any debris.  EASY.)  Then bake for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
Next, simply spoon a good amount of refried beans, straight from the can.  Top with vegan cheese, I used Daiya Vegan Cheese.  Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.  Top with your favorite toppings! You can use salsa, jalapenos, onions, avocado, guacamole, vegan or organic sour cream!
I used Organic Valley sour cream... I know, real sour cream?  I am not an advocate for dairy, as it causes many health problems, and we are all allergic to dairy- BUT, I am a huge sour cream fan, and have it occasionally.  This is the only dairy product I have in my home.  This is a pasture fed, and non-homogenized product, and the cultures help to predigest the 25 allergenic proteins of cow's milk.  In my family, we all can tolerate small amounts of sour cream.  If you can't tolerate any dairy, omit, or try vegan sour cream!

Enjoy!
Yours in health,
Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets