4/21/2010

Natalie's Olive Tapenade

Like everything I make, I make it to my own tastes, this included!  I love olive tapenade- and it is so very versatile, and uses are endless!  I make it often in the Summer, as it makes a great dip, an excellent topping, a wonderful dish to pass at parties!  There are many, many recipes for olive tapenade, but in reality, you can make it pretty much any way you'd like.  It is at it's base, olives and capers that are chopped- what else you do with it, is up to you... This is the way I like to make it!



Natalie's Olive Tapenade

1  can black olives (7.75 oz.)
1 jar green olives (10 oz.)
1 jar kalamata olives (6 oz.)
1 jar capers (3.5 oz.)
2-5 garlic cloves
2 tsp. anchovy paste, (or 3-4 fillets)
2 tsp. mustard ( I used grainy brown)
1/2 C olive oil
Process the garlic cloves first in food processor, or blender.  Add the rest of the ingredients and chop coarsely.  
That's it!!
I like it coarsely blended, so you can see the different colors, or you can really process it a lot to make it creamy.  Today I blended it more than I usually do, so it is difficult to see all the different olives- oops.

*There are many additions you could do here, or things you can omit.  I love having the combo of olives, but you could omit any one of the 3... You can do less olive oil if you'd prefer it less of a dip, and more of a chopped topping.  You can add fresh lemon juice- which I often do when I make it fresh for company.  Today I added 2 tsp. of red pepper flakes, because I just wanted to make it with a little kick!
*This tapenade is again, so very versatile.  I use it often because I love olives!  My favorite way to use this tapenade is to top a rice cracker with goat cheese then the tapenade!!  I also love to use the tapenade in lieu of just olives, as in Mexican dishes- on tacos, on tostadas, and on top of my famous layered bean dip.  It is excellent on broiled fish, chicken, even on top of baked potatoes!  Great as a dip fresh veggies!
*Olives are NOT fattening, and are nutritional powerhouse, and have the HEALTHY FATS that your body and brain needs.  There are many healing properties to olives, garlic, olive oil- so enjoy without guilt!


Your family and friends will thank you.  This is gourmet taste, without the gourmet effort!
Yours in health,
Natalie

1 comment:

  1. This stuff is the bomb! This is what Natalie puts on her layered mexican dip - Nat you need to add that to your recipe blog. If you need me to come over to eat it after you make for the blog just give me a call. :)

    ReplyDelete

Why you should avoid GMO dairy, soy, corn and wheat. Sobering.

A few favorite kitchen gagets